Google has banned around 200 sites for endorsing false news. Ads for shopping has increased manifold during the 4th quarter of the season. However, the quality of ads when analyzed by Google compelled them to block some 200 odd sites for promoting false news. This step is definitely going to help retail advertisers to find out useful information to seize the opportunity to prep for seasonal campaigns. The report published by Google exposes details on how misleading content is affecting publishers. Google has adopted a new policy regarding these fake news publishers.
Google had reviewed around 540 sites out of which it has banned 200 publishers from publishing misleading content. This ban is permanent according to Google authorities. Google has conducted this review for over a couple of months starting from November 2016. Out of those 540 sites Google took a strict step for around 340 sites. In fact, such rampant misrepresentation has led to incorporation of fake news section in the bad ads report published by Google every year. Additionally, the report also dedicates a section on all those 1.7 billion ads which have been taken down by Google for violating their policies. This number is double from that of 2015.
Following are the Key Stats in Google’s Report
· Misleading Ads- Around 80 million ads were removed by Google for publishing misleading, deceiving ads shocking readers in 2016.
· Bad Sites- Google took action against more than 75, 000 bad sites in 2016. These are sites that have been pointed as bad sites in the report.
· Deceptive Ads- Under this category are those ads that have tried to deceive Google. There are around 7 million such ads which have been removed by the giant. These ads carried content endeavoring to trick Google’s detection system.
· Mobile Ads- Over 23,000 self-clicking mobile ads were disabled by Google in 2016.
· Ads Endorsing Illegal products- In 2016, Google removed 68 million ads for violating healthcare policies which is way more than the figure of 12.5 million in the previous year. Moreover, around 17 gambling ads were removed for violations in different aspects.
· Payday Loan Ads- These types of ads were banned since July 2016. More than 5 million such ads were removed from their network dealing in the same topic.
· Trick to Click- Ads in the category of “trick to click” were also removed by Google. These ads appear like system error notifications and trick users into downloading malware.
Another phrase has become quite popular to denote fake news, that is “tabloid cloaking” ads. These kinds of ads are generally the weight loss ads which have been suspended by Google. Google also blocked around 6,000 such accounts which were targeted towards imitating designer watches.
Google has expanded on the policies regarding fake ads posting since November. Now they remove such sites which present deceiving content to the public. Additionally, Google supports the Coalition for better Ads campaign to protect users from deceiving ads being published online. However, this has had a backlash from scammers who have invested in tricking the system tracking down bad ads. Google will continue the fight against such damage and try to protect people using the open web ensuring best quality and user experience.